- 1 can (about 400g) haricot beans or baked beans
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped, optional)
- 2 medium carrots (chopped)
- 4 oz (110g) green beans (chopped)
- 4 tomatoes (chopped)
- Black pepper
- 1 and half pints (845mls) of water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- heat the oil in a large saucepan add the onion,carrot,green beans and garlic (if using), cook for a few minutes.
- make up the stock cube with boiling water,add to the saucepan and bring to the boil.
- add black pepper to taste and simmer on a medium heat for approx 30 minutes
- now add the tin of beans and tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- ladle into bowls.
serve with crusty bread.